Through this new virtual festival and in the face of COVID-19, we strive to recreate the impact of our in-person Reimagine End of Life festivals digitally and on a global scale. To that end, here are some questions for you to consider as you design your own events.
- In light of COVID-19, how can your virtual experience best respond to the needs of your community right now?
- If you were already planning to organize an in-person event, how can you refashion your offering to make it more accessible through an online format?
- How might mini-discussion groups and/or written activities be incorporated?
- Rather than carrying the entire burden of planning, marketing, and hosting a virtual event on your own, can you find another group or set of individuals to partner with?
- Who are the promotional and programmatic partners that can support you in getting the word out about your event or help you build out the content of your program?
- Rather than recruiting a guest facilitator, are there members of your community who you might invite to lead and/or host your event?
- Consider who your target audience is. While you don’t want to alienate other audiences, the more focused you are, the better you will serve your intended audience and the better your program will be.
- What are the technological needs of your event? (Reimagine has compiled a list of online platforms below.)
- What training do you or your audiences need to feel comfortable in this new environment?
- What are your event costs (e.g., speaker/presenter honoraria) and how do you want to cover them?
- How will you make sure your event is recorded so you can easily share or repurpose the content later?
- Breakout groups work best if they are limited to 10 people per room.
- Events shouldn’t be longer than 90 minutes.
While the technologies may be new for you, the best virtual events mirror in-person ones in so many ways, so if you know your goals, your audience and you focus on getting the best speakers, securing an event host, and creating opportunities for people to interact, you will be off to a good start!